Saturday, February 22, 2014

I Carry You in Me

"I am on a plane, across a distant sea... but I carry you in me."

It's been almost 7 weeks since I returned from Haiti.  I've been putting off blogging about my experience, mainly because it's taken me a long time to process everything, and partly because I have this nagging feeling that I need to "step back" and focus on other things in my life for a while.  But that doesn't happen.  I'm too involved now.  Each time I think to myself that I will take a "Haiti break," I'm pulled back in by this project or that, each one as important as the other.  I'm so intertwined now by the projects I started when I got back. And the truth is, I don't want to stop.  There's so much that can be done to help, and I'm only one person... but when I know there's *something* I can do, no matter how small, I want to do it.

I had no idea the hardest part of going to Haiti would be the "coming back" part.  My teammates and I have stayed in touch, and we've all experienced varying degrees of "Haiti hangovers." From almost reverse culture shock, to having a hard time of explaining what we experienced in Haiti, to trying to reconcile our 'old lives' with our new, changed selves... it's been, at times, a difficult experience.

How do you put into words an experience this life changing?

No comments:

Post a Comment